This Homemade Buttermilk Ranch dressing is perfect as a salad dressing or a dip. It's creamy, fresh, and so much better than store-bought.
How to make Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Making buttermilk ranch dressing is very easy. All you have to do is add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix it.
Refrigerate for about 2 hours to let it thicken and develop the flavors.
- You can also use it right away. It will be delicious anyway...
How to make a Buttermilk substitute
Buttermilk substitute is very easy to make. Since buttermilk is an ingredient that we often don't have in the fridge, you can make this substitution and get great results. Here is how to make it:
½ cup of milk + ½ tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white distilled vinegar
Mix them together and let them sit for about 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
Can I use fresh herbs?
It's totally fine to use fresh herbs; just keep in mind that it has a shorter shelf life. It would be fine for up to 4-5 days.
Because dried herbs usually have a more concentrated flavor than fresh herbs, you can often use this ratio:
1 teaspoon of dried herb = 1 tablespoon of fresh herb.
I wouldn't use fresh garlic, though, because its flavor gets very strong as the dressing sits in the fridge.
How to transform Ranch dressing into a Ranch dip
You can easily change the consistency of this dressing. Just add more or less buttermilk, according to the desired consistency you are looking for.
For a dip, I would start with just 2 tablespoon of buttermilk and move from there.
How long does Ranch last in the fridge?
If the dairy being used has just been opened, it should last up to 2 weeks. But if it has been previously opened, just follow the first expiration date among all the ingredients being used.
Can homemade buttermilk ranch dressing be frozen, heated, or cooked with?
Homemade buttermilk Ranch dressing doesn't freeze very well, so keep it in an airtight container, in the fridge, following the above information in the "How long does Ranch last in the fridge" section.
But, Buttermilk ranch dressing can be heated and even cooked. So, feel free to use it in recipes to make them even tastier.
Ways to use Ranch dressing
There are so many ways you can use Buttermilk Ranch dressing! Here are some ideas for you...
In a recipe
- This One Pot Rice and Ground Beef has a delicious and subtle ranch taste, and it's super easy to make.
- Cheesy Ranch Potatoes is a delicious side dish that you can make in just 30 minutes.
- I'm sure this Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash will surprise you with a great combination of flavors.
- Deviled Eggs with ranch dressing? Yes, please!
- This Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is an easy, dump-and-bake weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
- Make a Buffalo Chicken Dip for the perfect game day or party appetizer.
- Change your regular red sauce for the ranch, like in this Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza!
- How about in Mac-n-Cheese? This sure is a new way to add ranch!
- Ranch is also a great addition to wraps, as in these Grilled Chicken Wraps.
- Have you tried using it in Meshed Potatoes? It's so good!
- It's also amazing as a spread in your burger.
As a dip for...
- Potato wedges
- Chicken wings
Don't miss a recipe! Subscribe to our newsletter.
📖 Recipe / Receita
Homemade buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup buttermilk (or ½ cup milk + ½ tablespoon vinegar, mixed)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon chives or ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl add all ingredients and whisk them to combine.
- Taste it and add more lemon juice and/or salt, if needed, according to your preference.
- Transfer it to a jar and keep it closed, in the fridge.
All nutritional information above is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Nutritional content may vary according to brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes, substitutions, optional ingredients, etc. Simple Living Recipes is not responsible for any miscalculation or misinformation in the nutrition label.
Follow us on Social Media!
If you like this recipe, you may also like...
Save this Pin to your Pinterest!