This Creamy Chicken Casserole is tasty, creamy, full of cheese, and has lots of potato sticks on top. It is almost impossible not to like it!!
This creamy chicken casserole is a dish that is always on our menu. In addition to being super delicious, everyone in my family likes it, which is something really hard to achieve with 4 kids.
In fact, this is a food that my kids love! I don’t know if it’s because children usually like moist food… But every time I make this recipe we finish dinner with clean plates!
In Brazil, it’s a very common dish, which we call Fricassé. But don’t get confused with the French Fricassee. It’s totally different. The Brazilian Fricassé, which here I will call Creamy Chicken Casserole (to make life easier) consists of shredded chicken breast in a creamy sauce, and covered with lots of cheese and potato sticks.
Cooking chicken breasts
Cooking chicken breasts is very simple.
One option is to cook the chicken in the oven. I like this option when I use the chicken breast whole or sliced, as it keeps the chicken very juicy, and I don’t need to be around it. You season the chicken with your favorite spices, and put it in the oven at 350ºF, for approximately 30-40 minutes (it will depend on your oven and breasts sizes).
Another option, which I find more practical when I’m going to shred the chicken, is to make it in the pressure cooker (I use an Instant Pot). To do it in the pressure cooker I just season it with my favorite spices, add a cup of chicken broth, and let it cook for 10 minutes. Then I wait another 10 minutes and release the remaining pressure. Chicken will be ready to be shredded easily.
For the sauce
For the Creamy Chicken sauce we will only need 5 ingredients (I’m not counting the salt, which is basic).
- Cream cheese
- Table cream or heavy cream
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
Then just put everything in the blender, beat for a minute, add salt and pour over the shredded chicken.
Very easy, isn’t it?
The light taste of corn, with cream cheese and mustard is the perfect combination! I only used 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, but if you like the flavor more pronounced, you can use a little more. Just be careful that the mustard taste doesn’t take over.
Step by Step for this Creamy Chicken Casserole
Only 6 steps to a delicious Creamy chicken. See below how easy it is to make it.
And here it is. Ready in just 30 minutes!
How to make this Creamy Chicken Casserole a “Smart Dish”
I think most people like to save time in the kitchen, and if you can use leftovers from the fridge it’s even better.
Therefore, I usually say that this Creamy Chicken casserole is a ‘Smart’ dish, as you can save a lot of time when preparing it, and use up some leftover chicken too.
What I usually do is the following:
One day of the week (Monday, for example) I make chicken breasts in an amount that is enough for the next day (3 breasts to spare, preferably) to be able to make this casserole. So, on Monday, we eat chicken breasts with rice, steamed vegetables and salad.
Then, on the next day, I make this chicken casserole, but I won’t need to prepare the chicken, because it’s all ready. So the only thing I need to do is prepare the sauce and make the rest of the recipe as usual. This saves me about 20 minutes from a 30 minutes recipe! Besides, I will have a totally different recipe with almost no effort! This is what I call ‘Smart Dish’ and being smart in the kitchen 😉
Do you have more ideas for “smart” dishes? Write it down in the comments! I’d love to hear your ideas!
Make sure you won’t miss anything. Follow Simple Living Recipes on:
Creamy Chicken Casserole
For the Shredded Chicken
- 3 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (approx. 20 oz)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Creamy Sauce
- 1/2 can corn (about 7oz.)
- 1 cup heavy cream (or 1 can of table cream)
- 6 oz cream cheese (170 grams)
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup sliced green olives (optional)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- Potato sticks (enough to cover)
For the chicken
- In a pressure cooker (I used an Instant Pot), place the chicken breasts and add 1 cup of chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook it for 10 minutes, and let it naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Then quick release the remaining pressure. Open it, shred chicken breasts and reserve it.
For the creamy sauce
- While chicken breasts are cooking, start preparing the sauce.
- Add all the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend for approximately 1 minute. Reserve it.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a casserole add the shredded chicken, cover with the sauce, add olives (optional) and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Place it in the oven and cook it until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and add potato sticks. You can serve it with white rice and green salad.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest
Subscribe and receive new recipes
More recipes for you