Do you know those days when you won’t have any time at all to prepare dinner? Oh, I have so many of those days!! Well… This white chicken chili recipe is perfect for it, because you just dump everything in your slow cooker, cover, and leave. Then, when you come back home your house is smelling amazing, and you have the perfect dinner ready for you.
This is also my go-to recipe when I have dear ones who need some dinner delivered to them. Very frequently I have a friend who is sick, or just had a baby, and would love not having to cook that day, so this is the first recipe I can think of when it’s time to help with a meal.
How to make white chicken chili
It can’t be any easier than that.
White chicken chili is extremely easy to make and is very flexible too. You add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the pan, in a single layer, and then just add everything else, except the cilantro, over the chicken. We won’t add the cilantro at beginning because it’s a delicate herb, and we don’t want it to loose its flavors.
After you’ve added everything, just cover with the lid, and set it to cook on low for about 6 hours or high for 4-5 hours. You can choose it according to your schedule.
Modifications to this recipe
This white chicken chili calls for beans (well… it’s a chili, right?). You can use pretty much any beans that you like.
I like it with black beans, but I’ve tried it with pinto beans, and white beans, and it was super delicious too. Just keep in mind that if you choose beans that are too soft, you might want to add it towards the end of the cooking time, so it won’t get all smooshed.
Also, I’m not a fan of spicy food, so I used just one can of tomatoes with green chilies, but you can surely use both cans with green chilies, or even additional chilies to your liking.
I can’t even count how many times I’ve made this recipe, and how many times I’ve been asked for the recipe, so… Let’s go for it!
White Chicken Chili
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless/skinless)
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 11/2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 package ranch dressing mix
- 1 can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- 2 cans black beans/ great northern or pinto beans (drain the can and fill it with filtered water)
- 1 can corn (undrained)
- 12 oz package of cream cheese
- 1 cup water
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Place chicken in the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients (except cilantro) over the chicken breasts. Cover with lid and cook on low for about 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours.Open lid and check if chicken is done. If it's shredding easily, it's time to stop. With the help of a spatula or spoon, stir and help any chunks of cream cheese to incorporate into the liquid in pan. Taste the liquid to check if salt is okay; if necessary, correct salt. Using 2 forks, shred all chicken breasts, and add cilantro.You can serve it with tortilla strips, a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and more cilantro.Enjoy!