Here is a recipe for healthy muffins that you and your kids will love. It is packed with fruits, vegetables and healthy, yummy ingredients. They're the perfect healthy muffins for breakfast or any time of the day.
I am so excited to share the recipe for this healthy muffins for kids with you guys! I think muffins are a delicious way to add fruits and/or veggies to our diet, without hearing any complaints from the kids.
I've already posted the zucchini muffins recipe, which is pretty good, but I was looking for something with more vegetables in it, and no refined sugar, vegetable oil or refined flour, if possible.
So this week I went to the grocery store, bought a few ingredients, and jumped to my laboratory (aka kitchen), with a good feeling about it.
I knew I wanted at least 2 vegetables in it, because I love sneaking vegetables everywhere I can. This way my kids will get some extra vitamins and minerals. So, for this recipe I chose carrot and zucchini.
I also wanted some fruits, because they are not only tasty and good for you, but they also help sweetening things up in a natural way. For this healthy muffins I chose orange and applesauce. The applesauce helps with sweetness and reducing the amount of fat. The orange gives it a subtle citrus flavor that is so goooood!!!
Why are these muffins healthier than regular muffins?
1. They contain grated carrot and zucchini. This means more nutrients in your muffins, and picky eaters won't notice that they are there;
2. It has 2 fuits: Orange (juice and zest) and apple (applesauce). This gives you more nutrients, and helps lower the amount of added sugar;
3. No vegetable oil. Instead I used coconut oil and applesauce, that are much healthier than vegetable oil;
4. No all purpose flour. Instead I used coconut flour and White whole wheat flour. The white whole wheat flour is made from the entire grain, which means it contains the bran, germ and endosperm (contrary to just endosperm in the all-purpose flour). This makes it more nutritious and more full of fibers. It's also lighter and has a milder flavor than the common whole wheat flour, being a good substitute when baking;
5. No refined sugar. These muffins have just brown sugar and honey, what gives them more nutritional value;
6. Chia seeds. They are optional, but who doesn't want some extra Omega-3, antioxidants, fiber, iron and calcium, right??
I mean... Look at this picture! They are so light and fluffy! And what's even better, they are delicious and healthy!!
You can make this recipe as muffins or loaf, but here in my house it was more appreciated as muffins. They are easy to eat on the go, you don't have to slice it, and in my opinion, they were softer in the muffin version.
Don't miss a recipe! Subscribe to our newsletter.
Healthy Muffins for Kids
- 1 zucchini (grated, about 1 cup)
- 1 carrot (grated, about 1 cup)
- 2½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 orange (zest + juice. About ⅓ of a cup)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease muffin cups with oil spray or line them with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standard mixer, mix together the 3 eggs, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla, orange juice and zest, milk, honey and brown sugar. Mix it for about 3 minutes.
- Add the sifted ingredients and beat until they are incorporated.
- Add grated zucchini, carrots and chia seeds. Fold them in with a spatula, until incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter in the muffin cups and bake it for about 24 minutes, or until you touch the top of muffin and it springs back quickly. If you're still unsure, you can insert a toothpick in the middle. It should come out clean.
Save this Recipe for later. Pin it to your Pinterest!
Make sure you won't miss anything. Follow Simple Living Recipes on:
More Recipes for you...