Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de queijo) is just so delicious. It’s crunchy on the outside and cheesy on the inside. It’s gluten free and takes less than 25 minutes, start to finish.
Okay… Have you ever had Brazilian cheese bread (Pão de queijo) before?? If you said yes, good for you!! You already know a little bit about how heaven is going to be. Yes, ’cause I’m sure they have Pão de queijo in heaven; they are just DIVINE!!
Now, if you haven’t, it’s okay, I’m here to rescue you, and I will surely accept Pão de queijo as a ‘thank you’.
Pão de queijo is a Brazilian bread originated in the State of Minas Gerais (where all food tastes amazing). Straight out of the oven it’s very crunchy on the outside, and chewy and cheesy on the inside.
The original recipe requires you to boil milk and oil, and mix it with the dry ingredients; wait for it to cool a bit, and then add the eggs, cheese and mix the sticky dough by hand. The ending result is delicious, but I’ll tell you the truth… this blender version is much easier, faster and tastes as good as the original. Actually, it’s more light and airy, what makes my family like it even better.
How to make Brazilian Cheese bread
It takes about 5 minutes to prepare it. It’s that simple! You just blend all ingredients in a blender, except for the cheese, until smooth; add the cheese, pulse it a little, and you are done. Fill in the mini muffin cups and bake it for approximately 15 minutes or until golden in color.
It’s the perfect appetizer or even side dish for a party or dinner. It’s ready in no time, super easy to make, and people will think you spent hours preparing this exotic bread. I’m sure everybody we’ll be asking for the recipe!
So, to prove my love for the Brazilian cheese bread, I’ll show you a picture I took when I was done baking them.
Can you see the little heart?? Isn’t that cute?? I promise I didn’t make it on purpose! It just happened naturally as they rose in the pan. I just thought it was the cutest pão de queijo ever!
Now, enough with the talking, and let’s go to the recipe!
If you try this recipe, please, let me know your thoughts in the comments! I would love to hear it!
Some people like to use Cheddar or other strong flavor cheeses. You can sure change the cheese to your liking, although it might taste a little different than the original, and also have a different texture inside. I’ve used queso fresco, mozzarella and blue cheese with excellent results.
You can also add some spices or herbs to create your own style of Brazilian Cheese bread. The possibilities are endless.
Never miss a Recipe. Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pão de Queijo)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (vegetable oil can also be used)
- 1/8 cup melted butter (vegetable oil can also be used)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt (milk also works if you don't have yogurt on hand)
- 1 egg
- 11/2 cup tapioca starch (also known as tapioca flour)
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup Shredded cheese (Queso fresco and Mozzarella work great)
- More cheese to sprinkle on top (optional) (Parmesan works great)
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease a 24 mini muffin pan.
- Add all ingredients (but cheese) in a blender and blend it until smooth. Scrape sides as needed.
- Open the lid, add the shredded cheese and press the pulse button, just to mix the cheese in.
- Pour batter in mini muffin cups, about 2/3 full.
- If you want, you can sprinkle some finely shredded cheese on top (Parmesan works great).
- Bake it for about 15-18 minutes, or until it gets a light golden color.
- Remove it from oven and let it cool for just a few minutes. It's best when super fresh and hot. You can also open it and spread some butter or cream cheese inside. Yummm!! Enjoy!
Make sure you won’t miss anything. Follow Simple Living Recipes on:
Save this Recipe to your Pinterest!
More recipes for you to try…