These healthy and delicious zucchini muffins are so good, so good, that it’s impossible to eat just one. The good news is, they are healthier than the traditional ones, so you don’t need to feel so guilty when eating them.
It has 2-3 zucchinis in it, applesauce, coconut oil, nuts, oats, and whole wheat flour. It’s easy to make, and delicious! So, if you’re like me, and is always trying to find a way to give your kids some extra veggies, you should give this recipe a try, and you won’t be disappointed.
Why are these zucchini muffins considered healthy?
I call this muffins “Healthy zucchini muffins” because although they still have a little bit of refined sugar and flour, the amount is much smaller than the traditional zucchini muffins. This makes me feel better about offering my kids this version. Also, here are a few more reasons:
1. They contain zucchini (grated). This means more nutrients in your muffins, and picky eaters won’t notice that they are there, since they are grated;
2. No vegetable oil. Instead I used coconut oil and applesauce, that are much healthier than vegetable oil;
3. Less all purpose flour and more whole wheat flour. Instead of using just all purpose flour as the traditional recipes do, I used oat flour and whole wheat flour. The whole wheat flour is made out of the whole grain, which means it contains the bran, germ and endosperm (contrary to just endosperm in the all purpose flour). This makes it more nutritious and more full of fibers;
Something that I do, but you don’t have to, is adding chocolate chips to the batter. I add it because my kids eat pretty much anything with chocolate chips, without complaining, and it also helps to sweeten it up a little bit more, since the batter isn’t so sweet.
Healthy Zucchini Muffins
- 11/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 11/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup refined sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup Chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat the oven to 325ºF (165ºC). Line 24 muffin cups with muffin liners.Shred zucchini until you get 2 cups (about 2-3 zucchinis) and squeeze it to get the excess liquid out, set it aside. Sift flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a bowl, set it aside.With the help of a mixer, beat eggs, oil, vanilla, applesauce and sugars together, for about 3 minutes. Add sifted ingredients to the mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a spatula, stir in the shredded zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips. Pour it in the muffin cups and bake it for about 22 minutes, or until golden on top, and springing back up when touched on top center.