Artichoke salad is so healthy and so good. It's made with artichokes, tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, feta, and a delicious Mediterranean dressing. You won't believe how tasty and simple to make this salad is.
This artichoke salad is a great way to keep a healthy diet while still eating delicious food. It can be a side dish to your entrée or a stand-alone meal.
I selected the ingredients for this salad with some Mediterranean flavors in mind. Tomatoes, olives, feta cheese, chickpeas, and basil are common ingredients in Mediterranean cuisine, especially Italian and Greek ones. The dressing was also carefully crafted to bring out all the flavors you expect in a Mediterranean dish.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Artichokes: they are the heart of this salad. I used plain canned artichoke quarters with salt and water, but you can use the marinated ones if you want.
Tomatoes: they are juicy and perfect in this salad. I like grape tomatoes, but you can use regular tomatoes and dice them yourself.
Black olives: are the perfect match to bring out the Mediterranean flavor. I use the small ones so I can use them whole.
Chickpeas: a great source of protein for your salad.
Feta cheese: tasty and creamy, feta cheese is a great option to add to this salad, but if you wish, you can substitute it for Parmesan or Asiago.
Cilantro/Parsley: I love cilantro, but if your taste buds don't do well with cilantro, parsley is a good alternative.
Mediterranean dressing: In my post 'Mediterranean salad dressing' you can find more details and tips for making this dressing, but I'll briefly explain how to make it in this post too.
How to make Artichoke Salad
Making an artichoke salad is very simple. Most ingredients are used as is, so prep time is minimal. Preparing the dressing is the only step that might take some extra minutes, but it's also super simple. In my post 'Mediterranean salad dressing', you can find more photos and tips if you need them.
*All quantities are specified in the recipe card below in this post.
Leave the feta cheese for last - Feta cheese can absorb a lot of dressing, so I prefer to toss the salad with the dressing first and then add the feta cheese. This way, the feta will keep its bright white color and make your salad stand out even more.
Customize your salad - The good thing about this salad is that it's very customizable. Feel free to add more veggies or omit some if you'd like. Bell pepper, corn, and avocado are great options too.
Use canned artichokes or cook your own - I tend to use canned artichokes because it's so practical. But, if you have fresh artichoke in your fridge and would like to cook it for this recipe, here's a great article on how to cook an artichoke.
Make ahead of time
You can add all the ingredients of this salad to a jar or a salad bowl, cover it well, and keep it in the refrigerator. Then, mix up all ingredients for the dressing and refrigerate it in a different container. When you're ready to eat, just shake the dressing, pour it into the salad, toss it, and devour it.
Health benefits of artichoke
Artichoke is considered a superfood by many, mostly because of its high levels of antioxidants. Besides this important fact, artichoke is proven to help control blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels. It's also rich in potassium, fiber, vitamin C, and magnesium. If you'd like to read more about it, here is a great article by WebMD about the health benefits of artichoke.
You can serve it as a side for chicken, beef, and pork dishes.
Most of the time, I eat this salad on its own, and I find it very filling since artichokes and chickpeas have a good amount of fiber and protein. If you'd like even more protein and you're not vegetarian, feel free to add some chicken to it.
This artichoke salad makes any table more beautiful and all meals even richer.
There's no need to use an immersion blender for the dressing. If you want to shake all the ingredients together or whisk them instead of using a blender, you can finely mince the garlic, use a grater, or use garlic powder. But remember that the dressing will separate faster this way.
Don't miss a recipe! Subscribe to our newsletter.
📖 Recipe / Receita
For the Salad
- 13.75 oz can of quartered artichoke hearts (8.5 oz drained) (240 g after drained)
- 4 oz grape tomatoes (halved) (100 g)
- 4 oz black olives (100 g)
- 4 oz cooked chickpeas (100 g)
- 4 oz cucumber (diced) (100 g)
- 1.5 oz feta cheese or shaved parmesan cheese (40 g)
- 1 handful cilantro/parsley, roughly chopped
- basil leaves, for decoration (optional)
For the Dressing
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, heated for 1 minute in the microwave
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or regular mustard)
- 1-2 teaspoon honey (optional, but helps regulate acidity)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Add the artichokes, tomatoes, olives, chickpeas, and cucumbers to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add the ingredients for the salad dressing to a glass container, and blend them with an immersion blender. (*See notes if you don't have an immersion blender)
- Pour the desired amount of dressing into the salad and toss to coat.
- Finish adding the cheese, cilantro, and basil leaves.
- Use a single-serving blender.
- Use garlic powder and blend everything with a whisk.
- Mince or finely grate the garlic and then mix everything with a whisk.
More Recipes You May Like
Make sure you won't miss anything. Follow Simple Living Recipes on:
Save this Recipe on your Pinterest